Thursday 6 March 2014

Wanderlust




Wow, I can't believe i've already been in Australia for a week! Time really does fly by when you're having fun! My first week was filled with a plethora of up's and also just a few down's. Here is a run down on my busy first week in the land of Oz. 

Saturday night- My first evening out in the city of Melbourne. I went with Sarah (Leanne's prior nanny) and a few of her friends. We had dinner at a bar/restaurant called Father's Office. It is an "American theme" bar, they served "Kansas City BBQ wings" as one of their food items. Being an "American" bar they also served ice cold Budweiser, and that my friends is 'Merica. After dinner and a few drinks we went to a few other bars in the area. It was a blast seeing some of the city and meeting new people, however my jet lagged body was dragging! We stayed at a friend of Sarah's house in the city.

Sunday- Was a day spent at the Brunswick Music Festival. Such a great opportunity to people watch all the unique individual's that make up the city and surrounding areas. The crowded streets we're filled with food, clothing, jewelry and street performers. I also got a little taste of the Australian sun. Wear sunscreen folks, it'll get ya!

Monday and Tuesday was spent taking the kiddo's to school, wondering the streets of williamstown, spending some relaxation hours at the beach, picking the kiddo's back up and running them to various activities (gymnastics, piano lessons). Starting dinner, baths, homework and bedtime. However we have started a routine which makes things easier on not only the kids, myself and Leanne too. I have found it to be a difficult when doing "readers" with Coco. My mom is a first grade teacher so i've had a lot of time listening and observing here teach reading one on one with students. So while Coco is learning to read, I remind her to "sound it out", "what sounds do A make". Then I remember we have a difference in pronunciation. So I have been trying to read and sound words out like they do. Not an easy thing but with practice I can learn anything right. However while I was reading my own book before bed I caught myself sounding words out with the accent. Who knows maybe I will come home talking rubbish ;).

Wednesday- the kiddo's spent the day at school and the evenings at their dad's home (only a few minutes away) which means NANNY NIGHT OFF :). A friend of Leanne's gave us 4 free box tickets to Miguel and Bruno Mars. The suspense throughout my day was like none other. Sarah and I went with a few friends into Melbourne for the big show. It was FANTASTIC!!! Both Miguel and Bruno performed their cute, hip thrusting booties off! Bruno had the crowd up on their feet dancing, singing and having a wonderful time. The photo's I took just don't do justice on his performance.

Thursday was very much like Monday and Tuesday. Thursday I walked all of Williamstown hitting my favorite spots, taking a few pictures and embracing the beauty. Forgot about sunscreen, and that my purse was draped across my body (terrible tan line). I also didn't think about the repercussions of wearing new sandals; blisters on the bottom of my feet. Not pleasant. But can't complain!

WHEW! What a week!!!

Early I spoke of a few "down's" throughout my time so far. Besides for a few sun burns and blistered feet the only other time had to do with my terrible sense of direction, I literally got lost more times then I can begin to count. My idea of directions is "turn left at the big rock", "take a right near the wheat field onto the gravel road" etc. Being frustrated with directions, hungry kids and a tired jet lagged nanny, for a brief moment I was questioning if I could do this. Could I live in a place where I know little to no one, little to nothing, family and friends at home?

However with a few deep breaths and a few helpful hints from the kids I found my way. It's kind of like life really, we often get a little lost and side tracked but with patience you can get through anything. It's important to stop and look at all the beauty that surrounds you. How lucky am I to be living this life? I've taken a chance to explore, enjoy a new way of life and learn who I really am.  I'm not waiting and hoping for dreams to come true, I have taken a leap of faith and am making my dreams a reality. Leanne, Coco and Hugo are all wonderful, happy, intelligent people who light up any room they walk into. I'm living within walking distance of a gorgeous beach, port, shops and parks. A town full of happy, helping, friendly people. This is true bliss, my friends.


We have been listening to a new song on the radio, It's called Free by Rudimental. (Not sure if it's popular in the States or not). Lyrics go a little something like this: "I drink a little more than recommended, this world ain’t exactly what my heart expected. Tryna find my way someway, oh I, oh I, oh I.. See, whoa, c’est la vie. Maybe something’s wrong with me. But, whoa, at least I am free, I am free."

-- Cheers, A


No comments:

Post a Comment