Friday 21 March 2014

Nanny 9-1-1





Hello to all my lovely blog readers. First of all, don't you have better things to do than to read about my life? Only kidding, that is what we're here for! I have had an overwhelming amount of question's this far in my journey, the majority of which wondering pro's/ con's and just details on nannying and my every day details. So I decided I would write it all down in a blog for those of you who are seriously interested or just curious about the little details that make up my every day. :)

So where to begin--

Why nanny?
My answer to this is for the simple fact that i've known for years, after college graduation I wanted to travel. I've always had a desire to travel to Australia specifically, no real rhyme or reason, nothing I must do/see there, only a deep down want to go. However, to travel internationally cost's an arm and a leg, and as far as traveling i've never been a "touristy" person. I like to see and do things that the locals take part in. What is it REALLY like in the area, not what society or other people have painted a picture of. Another thought is why not just pack up and move on your own, find a job there, etc. When nannying you have already got a job lined up, a family who is awaiting your arrival, a home of which is free rent- many include groceries, gas money and other bonus's on top of a pay. Often pay is a bit cheaper especially if you are a live-in. You have to take all the elements into consideration when deciding on a pay. How often will you be "working"? Will you have set days off? What will be included in living experience? etc etc. So for me it was an easy choice to try the nanny gig. I love children, traveling, cooking and just being a part of another family. My first time nannying was in New York City a few summers ago, this was an experience. A lot of highs and lows, but it allowed me to grow and realize things not only about myself but also what important elements to consider when looking for a family to nanny for. (I'll discuss this later on).


How?
I started nannying through the website www.greataupair.com. On this website you can search for families anywhere around the world. You are able to use the site/ create an account for free however in order to message a family first you must be a paying member. However, if they write you first it will let you write back. I've used it both ways and have had success. I believe their are other websites similar to this, but i've only used greataupair for long distance live-in jobs.

What to look for?
This is VERY important. Some of these points might seem obvious, almost silly but often the simple things are what is most important when beginning your journey as a nanny.

1. What is the family looking for from YOU? - Some families will want you to play a role as a big sister/family member, others will look for you as an occasional sitter, some want you for work- a nanny/housekeeper/family chef/ all errand runner/ kid drop offs/ dog walker/ part time business employee/ full time busy (if you catch my drift). I have been blessed with both families whom just include me in their every day routine and treat me as a member of the family. My priority first and foremost is the children and tending to their needs, everything else has fallen into place nicely. Leanne (the mother i'm currently living with) created an "Aupair manual" with all of this information as well as what I will continue to talk about in this blog.

2. What is the family like? Are the parents Single/Married/Divorced? What do the parents do? How often will they be out of the home for work? Beliefs, if any? What are they interested in? etc And of course the children- this can sometimes be difficult, because I'm pretty sure it's a fact that all parents will say "oh we have the sweetest, most well mannered, best listening children...." I'm gonna go with DOUBT IT. (Coming from my first experience in nyc). It's important to try and get a good vibe from the parents but also TALK to the children, I know for this experience we spoke on the phone and through skype. I was also in contact with the prior nanny to ask any questions on the children and family in general.  Also consider- how many children do they have- can YOU handle children full time (because some days it can be that way) - Are they in extracurricular activities- Do you allow children to watch tv/ any diet restrictions etc. Little questions are very important when considering a family.

3.  Where will you be living? What kind of space will you have for your own (you'll want a little every once in awhile)- What style of home do you live in, apartment, house, etc, I have found it important to have a back yard, even if it's small. Children neeeeed fresh air and room to jump around and let out some energy.
  As far as the location itself- is it a city/ town/ rural area etc. How are driving conditions in the area (will I be doing a lot of driving)- Can I get to places that are within walking distance- What are things to do/see in your town- Are their people MY age in the area- etc. My second time around I made sure to not only research exactly where my home was located and what it looked like (thanks google maps) but also what was available for me to do in that area.

4. What will my schedule be like most often? - This kind of relates with #1. For example my schedule is something along these lines: Coco (age 6) goes to school Monday- Friday from 9 to 3:30. Hugo (age 4) goes to school 3 days a week (tuesday-thursday). I normally will wake up, make breakfast, get the kids ready for school (Leanne also contributes to mornings as well, but I try to get most things done). Drop kids off. Me time(beach, shops, port, groceries, cleaning etc) Pick the kids up. Go to gymnastics, piano, play dates, etc. Dinner- bath- bed (Depending on Leanne's work schedule; which I was aware of prior; she is often home and helps but some evenings it's just good ol nanny anjelica). I have every Wednesday and Sunday off, as well as every other weekend. It sounds hectic, but I have a lot of down time and once I had gotten into a routine the days/evenings go smoothly.

5. How much will you be getting payed- what will all be included- etc. (Fairly simple, just need to converse with the family on specifics)

6. Does the family travel and will you be included on these travels. - What kind of holidays do the kids have off from school- Are you allowed any free vacation time aside from the family?

This was just a few of the most basic and important things to consider/ discuss. When it comes to pro's and con's of nannying I can only say a few negatives.
-Cons: first and foremost leaving the familiar behind, family, friends, your life as you once knew it.  (However with technology it is very easy to stay in touch daily). Besides that, i'd say the biggest con would have to align with disciple between you and the children. You have to remember, you are not the parent (if you don't remind yourself, the kids will be the first to speak up) but instead you are an extra pair of hands. You are here to help the parents and children. But, once in awhile i'll still catch me acting like my mother (sorry mom, nothing bad, in fact all the right things just not my children or my decision). However I relate it very much to as a teacher. On that first day you want to be kind and fun but also explain to them your expectations in a manner they will respect and understand. I always use positive reinforcement every day but when needed we use "time out" (which is still a struggle from time to time) Coco sits for 6 minutes, Hugo for 4 minutes- time doesn't start until they are sitting still quietly. But it's important to always stay positive, even if sh%t is hitting the fan. Just stay in control but try and communicate so they can understand. This is just something I learned from my first experience to work on during this one.

- Pro's: travel, experience, becoming a member of someone else's family, growing as an individual/ independence, working with children on a daily basis, I could go on and on and on, the pro's will always always outweigh the so called con's. This is the time to travel and live your life. (Might be a bit harder for all my friends who are in serious relationships and or married, not a dis to you by any means:) ). You will gain so much through any great adventure so take the opportunity. I've found that home is anywhere your heart is. Yes, I will always consider Kansas my "home" or even "where I'm from", a place where all my friends and loved ones are. But those important places and people will be there no matter what road you take, and that's what home means to me.

If anyone has any more questions please feel free to ask me. :) Hope this helps!!

Cheers- A

3 comments:

  1. So glad you posted all this. Quite interesting to me. And gives me a glimpse at your world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I love that you have a little time to read my blog (sorry about the terrible grammar and all that English jazz :) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Sometimes I'm slow getting around to it, but I love seeing your life abroad!

    ReplyDelete