Thursday 27 March 2014

One Month Down, Unda!






        WOW, can you believe i've been in Australia for a month?! It's crazy how quickly the hours turn to days, the days turn into weeks and now the weeks into a full month. I admit, I still have moments where I need to pinch myself a little to make sure that i'm actually living this life. I remember a few months prior to me leaving I had started second guessing if I would be able to do this. Move to a place unfamiliar, so very far from friends and family and become a part of this family. I am so glad I took my leap of Faith and boarded that plane to Oz. With this first month I know that this is what I wanted and needed.

          So what have I been up to the last few weeks? Besides my normal weekly routine i've experienced a few exciting moments as well. Both of the children are actively involved in extracurricular activities, while i'm familiar with gymnastics, piano and a few other odds and ends i've also gotten to learn about calisthenics. I'd describe calisthenics as various gymnastic/dance movements created to promote health, strength, flexibility and grace. Often they used "equipment" such as rods or clubs, other times they do what we would consider "lyrical" pieces. These individuals are very flexible and hard working! Coco is involved in a calisthenics club that meets every saturday. They practice all the variations of Calisthenics weekly and soon will begin performances. Growing up in dance I have not only an appreciation but love for the sport. It's truly fun and amazing to watch.


       Aside from the daily routine, I have gotten to experience a little more of Australia and where I live. Besides my daily adventures around town where I am beginning to have favorite coffee shops, cafes and boutiques, my trips into Melbourne, we also made a little trip about an hour down to Torquay where our holiday house is. Leanne's friend and her family also came down for the weekend too. Besides staying in a gorgeous home we also spent time at Torquay beach, drove along the Great Ocean Road and went on a hike where we walked in the tree tops. The absolute beauty and serenity that we saw and felt that weekend was so relaxing.

   
      So now that i'm getting a taste of the area I thought i'd fill you in on a few other elements. Lets start with...
- Driving. And on the left side of the road. Surprisingly, I think i'm a better left side of the road driver than  I am on the right side. I've even parallel parked a few times and didn't hit anything ;). I have yet to see a 4 way stop using stop signs, instead they use round-a-bouts.

- Jet lag. I think it took me about two weeks to finally feel that my body was back to normal. Had more energy throughout the day, was able to stay up a bit later, wake up earlier, etc.

-Food. Well I did try a Kangaroo burger, and it was delicious!! Otherwise food is very similar to it is in the states. I was asked about Vegemite. I think about half of the aussies love it and the other half hate it. I have tried it in multiple settings, not a huge fan when it's used as a spread on toast or by itself. But we have used it as a baste for roast and because of the salty taste of vegemite it was delicious. (Don't for one second think Vegemite would taste anything like Nutella)

-Lingo. Goodness this one will take me some time. I've picked up on every day phrases such as: "the boot"-trunk, "lollys"- candy, "jumper"- sweater, "prim"- stroller, "pardon"- I never hear what huh excuse me, "arvo"- afternoon, "chewy"- gum, "rubber"- eraser. Haha this is just a few i've had to get a bit adjusted too, trust me their are many more :).

-Music. I mostly listen to the radio when taking the kids to and from places, i've found a few "pop" stations and the ONE country station, but luckily the kids don't mind it.

(If anyone wants to know anything feel free to ask away).

Needless to say this first month has been one for the books. In April i'm looking forward to my friend Sarah's birthday, my birthday and while the kids are on a school holiday with their dad I will be traveling to Cairns (near Great Barrier Reef) to spend some time with a few mates. Lots to look forward to this next month!!!

I would like to send a few prayers and positive thoughts to the Keating family. You have always welcomed me into your home as not only a friend but another member of the family. Wishing I could be there physically for you all. Love you guys!!!

And to Brandon Martino who has just completed his time at basic! So very proud of you and can't wait to hear from you!!!!!  Love ya B!

Missing everyone at home but so blessed to know that you all support and love me while on my journey!

Xoxo- Cheers- A



         
 
                      


1 comment:

  1. I'd say this whole idea has been a good one. You look happy--and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete