Wednesday 25 June 2014

"Prince Charming"






The majority of my blog's have been centered around my travels and daily life in Australia. However, every once in a while I throw a bit of a random blog in. I suppose it's more of a way to express my feelings, without stepping on anyones toes. It's an OPINION, and whether you agree with what I have to say, or not that's fine too. It's okay not to agree with what the "norm" or "society" says. I also don't care if once you have read my thoughts you judge me, or view me differently. Again, I don't care because I am comfortable in my own skin and am 100% okay with that.

Lately, I have read a large amount of blogs focused around marriage and the reason behind saying "yes". First of all i'd like to thank all of my married friends for "sharing" these articles on Facebook, otherwise I would never read them (a little behind in the times, or so it seems :) ). But, I have to voice my own opinion on the things i've read and my reaction to those.

The majority of these articles start out with talking about trying to find a "prince charming" or a "knight in shining armor" and how these women have such high expectations when finding a spouse. They believe in "the one", because that is what society has taught them. Yet these women are voicing how it's not about those silly ideas. Instead it's about finding someone to love under God's word, and that our purpose for marriage is to please God.

Let me start by saying, yes, I am a believer in the Lord. Mainly because it's how I was raised, however I have made the CHOICE to believe. However, not everyone believes in God or even a higher power. And that is okay, I don't judge anyone for those feelings. But being said, that I am a believer I disagree with the article. Call me old fashioned or even stuck in a fairly tale, but I believe in marrying your ONE TRUE LOVE.

Clearly, I am not married so I can't write about this blog from that perspective but I can write about where I am now. I do believe in finding your soul mate, someone who makes you a better person, someone you can have those disagreements with but still find an understanding of each other, someone who takes the time to truly love you, someone you want to marry to not only make yourself happy but to make them equally as happy, someone who makes you laugh even in the saddest of times, someone who has similar interests, and just the opposite- have some things you don't quite fancy because that's okay too, or maybe they can show you something you never thought possible. Be vulnerable, allow someone to change your view on things, or don't, but be understanding of those feelings. You can't change someone but you can change their world.

I do understand putting God into the relationship. Many reasons as to why, but I don't want to blog about religion because I think that is a touchy subject with many. I believe if you find a partner whom you can share the same beliefs and dreams with you can focus on things that make your relationship last forever with or without God in your lives.

Yes, I watch the "bachelor" and or "bachelorette" regularly. Do I believe in the system, no. Do I watch it and hope they find their one true love, yes. I think we all do. Maybe I am naive in believing in a one true love. But when I look at my grandparents, I know it's real. I've been raised in an environment where i've seen all sides of marriage, the good, the bad, and the ugly. But, it's what has made me who I am. I have a voice. I have an opinion.

I use to think that happiness was something you could find. Often believing that a man would make me the happiest. No. No. NO. To find your true love, you first must find yourself. You have to know who you are, what you want and where you want to be. You have to love yourself and find your own happiness. Happiness is something we all search for, but start first by searching from within. You can create an unlimited amount of happiness for you. Don't wait for that prince charming to swoop you up and make you happy, because even believing in that fairy tale will go nowhere if you don't believe, love and are happy with just you and you alone.

Once you find your own happiness and own life you will be ready to spread the love to others. That is when you will be blessed with conversations, a best friend, a one true love. Don't "settle" with someone to get married because everyone else is. Keep your standards high and follow your own heart.

Cheers
A

2 comments:

  1. Saw a quote the other day that made me think of you: "I'll look back on this and smile because it was my life and I chose to live it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this post. I think many of us have learned the hard way that we must love ourselves before we can truly love someone else. I know I've learned that the hard way! I very much believe in creating your own happiness instead of searching for a significant other to create it for you. Go you, Anjelica!

    ReplyDelete